A common houseplant, theSansevieria trifasciataIt is native to Asia and Africa. It can be recognized by its sword-shaped evergreen leaves that grow upright and almost look like artificial foliage.
Snake plants are often used as home decor as they are easy on the eyes, easy to care for, and require little water to survive.
Snake plants are considered relatively safe, but they are slightly toxic if eaten. Its leaves contain a poison that can cause swelling and numbness of the tongue if ingested in large doses. It is advisable to keep this plant away from children and animals that tend to nibble on it.
Snake plant, commonly called mother-in-law's tongue, is a hardy succulent that can grow from 6 inches to several feet.
In addition to providing a bit of ambience, snake plants have a number of health benefits, including:
- filter indoor air
- remove toxic contaminants
- can help improve mental health
- easy to care
- effective against allergies
- can help increase the “energy” of a space, according to feng shui
- can help with minor ailments
1. Filters indoor air even at night
Like other succulent house plants, snake plants help filter indoor air. What is unique about this particular plant is that it is one of the few plants that can convert carbon dioxide (CO2) in oxygen at night.
This quality makes it an ideal plant for decorating bedrooms, as it can help regulate healthy airflow.
2. Eliminate Toxic Contaminants
Snake plants are also known for their ability to help remove toxic pollutants from the air. In small contributions, snake plants can absorb cancer-causing pollutants, including:
With the ability to absorb and eliminate harmful toxins, snake plants can act as an effective defense against airborne allergies.
3. Reinforcement of mental health
While the mental health benefits of houseplants still warrant further scientific investigation, the concept that plants play a positive role is well established, according tosurvey 2018.
Horticulture is even used in the treatment of mental health due to its therapeutic effects.
Houseplants can be added to workplaces, schools, and medical facilities as a low-risk, inexpensive way to enhance these environments.
4. Low maintenance and easy care.
The snake plant is a common houseplant for many reasons. One is that it is so easy to care for.
“Vasosansevieriaplants are common on all continents”, explainsNatureza IDbotanist Halina Shamshur. "Being very undemanding, they are often grown on the windowsills of houses, apartments, and different public buildings."
According to Shamshur, snake plants can tolerate direct sunlight and shade, submersion, drafts, and dry air. They also do not require frequent replanting and are almost never infested.
5. Effective against allergies
By releasing oxygen and adding moisture to the air, snake plants can help lessen the impact of airborne allergens such as dust and dander.
Since poor indoor air qualitywas linkedto many health-related problems, such asallergiesmiasma, this is a definite benefit.
6. A little feng shui can go a long way.
“The Chinese love the snake plant for its ability to absorb negative energy,” says Shamshur. "In accordance withFeng Shui, putting upsansevieriain a classroom facilitates learning.”
Shamshur notes that snake plants are believed to absorb negative energies and remove bitterness and jealousy. She suggests placing them in a room where people tend to argue or near devices that emit harmful radiation.
While this isn't backed by scientific evidence, there's nothing wrong with trying it.
7. Relieves minor physical ailments
Shamshur shares that there are several other benefits of snake plants that are not scientifically proven but are widely accepted by plant experts.
For example, snake plants are said to:
- heal wounds and skin burns
- reduce inflammation
- standard blood pressure support
- help strengthen the immune system
- help eliminate parasites
- relieve headaches
"You can apply the sap from the leaves of the plant on wounds, burns and inflammations," he says. "Aromatherapy can help you get rid of a headache."
As a reminder, Shamshur says to be careful when using snake plants for healing purposes.
Its leaves contain saponins, which are poisonous substances, in large quantities. Saponins are commonly part of manydiuretic,choleretic, milaxativedrugs
Be sure to consult a doctor before using the snake plant to treat any symptoms. Never eat or drink any part of the snake plant.
The most common foliage of the snake plant appears as thin green leaves with gray or silver horizontal stripes. This plant can grow several feet tall and does well in areas with low light.
OsansevieriaThe genus now encompasses about 70 species, according to Shamshur. Some of the more common types of snake plants include:
- Bird's nest snake plant.Also known as Hahnii, this plant is relatively small, growing just 6 inches tall. The leaves form clusters that resemble a cup, similar to a bird's nest.
- Cylindrical cobra plant.OSansevieria cylindricait has round leaves that can grow several meters long. The leaves of this plant extend outward to resemble a crown.
- Lorenzo Sansevieria.OLorenzoit is also a popular snake plant, known for its green colored center and yellow margins.
- evil sister.OSansevieria trifasciata"Twist" is a dwarf cultivar ofSansevieria trifasciataand reaches only about 15 inches in height. This hard-to-find plant consists of twisting variegated leaves of gold and green.
- White snake plant.OSansevieria trifasciata"Bantel's Sensation" is another unique variety ofSansevieria trifasciata. It has dark green leaves with white vertical stripes.
- rhino grass. Sansevieria pearsoniiit is an attractive houseplant that produces a tight cluster of upright leaves.
- Sansevieria desert.Also known as elephant stick, this plant often has a fanning effect.
Perhaps one of the most popular reasons people include snake plants in their decor is that they are low maintenance and require little attention to grow. They are hardy, hardy plants and can survive in relatively dry environments, both indoors and outdoors.
If you plan to have a snake plant in your home, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Don't water too much.Too much water is the weakness of this plant. Place a snake plant in a well-draining pot to avoid overwatering it, as it can rot. Only water the soil when it is completely dry.
- Indirect sunlight is best.Partial sun works best for snake plants, although it can still grow in darker corners or brighter window areas. If fully shaded, the plant may look dull and the leaves may be a bit limp.
- How to propagateSnake plants are not only easy to care for, but also easy to multiply. Just follow these guidelines:
- Cut a healthy leaf near its base and make an inverted V cut at the bottom.
- Then place the leaf in a jar of clean water. Make the water level slightly above the V-cut.
- Once roots start to form (3 to 5 weeks), you can either keep it in water or transfer it to soil.
Place a snake plant in a well-draining pot to avoid overwatering it, as it can rot. Make sure the pot has a hole to allow for drainage.
Snake plants have proven to be as useful as they are visually appealing. They can grow indoors and outdoors with little to no maintenance.
Additionally, snake plants can also help filter indoor air, a quality that can keep you safe and healthy. Consider adding a snake plant to your home for aesthetic and health reasons.
Snake plants (also known as sansevieria—their botanical name is Sansevieria trifasciata) can purify the air inside your home as its leaves absorb a variety of toxins, according to one study by NASA. They are also, according to Feng Shui teachings, the perfect plants to attract money, prosperity, and good energy.What is a cool fact about snake plants? ›
Snake plants are on the top of the list of air purifying plants. The unusual thing they do is that they actually release oxygen at night though a process called Crassulacean Acid Metabolism (cam). They only open their stomata at night, to avoid dehydration.What are the spiritual uses of snake plant? ›
According to Feng Shui, the spiky plants are considered great to drive away negative energies. When placed in an ideal position, the Snake plant is known to bring protective and positive energy in homes and offices.What does snake plant symbolize? ›
Snake plant symbolizes Cleanliness and tenacity which makes it perfect to be gifted to someone who loves nature. This plant makes as a perfect house warming gift indicating persistence and happiness. The plant is a popular Feng-Shui plant and is associated with good luck.What are 3 benefits of snakes? ›
Snakes serve critical role as predators, as preys, as ecosystem engineers, and provide economic and therapeutic benefits to humans (Figure 1). Snakes are also a source of many medicines. The only proven and effective therapy for snakebite - the snake-anti venom, is also derived from snake venoms.What are three benefits of snakes? ›
Most people try to control these pests with chemicals which end up polluting the environment. Snakes provide an easy, environmentally friendly, free and natural pest control service. Another example, timber rattlesnakes in the eastern U.S. eat rodents who are hosts to ticks.How long will a snake plant live? ›
Most snake plants live up to 10 years, although some have been known to live as long as 25 years with proper care.Where do snake plants do best? ›
Snake plants prefer bright, indirect light and can even tolerate some direct sunlight. However, they also grow well (albeit more slowly) in shady corners and other low-light areas of the home. Tip: Try to avoid moving your plant from a low-light area to direct sunlight too quickly, as this can shock the plant.How often do you want a snake plant? ›
Repotting Snake Plants
Plants in low light might need to be repotted every 5 to 10 years. For snake plants in brighter light, expect to transplant every 3 to 6 years. Many gardeners simply wait until the plants multiply and break their pots —then they know it's time to repot.
The snake plant (also known as 'mother-in-law's tongue') is a natural air purifier. It emits oxygen at night that helps you sleep better. It's also known to remove some harmful chemicals from the air such as xylene, trichloroethylene, toluene, benzene and formaldehyde.
'These sturdy roots are the snake repellents. They emit a strong odor that repels snakes, gophers, and moles. They can also reach wherever a snake might be burrowing and hiding in, so the smell will reach deep into the soil.Why do people love snake plants? ›
Perhaps one of the most popular reasons people include snake plants in their decor is that they're low maintenance, requiring little attention to grow. They're resilient, hardy plants and can survive in relatively dry environments, both indoors and out.Do snake plants bloom when happy? ›
These flowers sometimes appear out of nowhere or for no reason. Snake plants require little care to thrive, and some even theorize that neglect helps the plant bloom. Ultimately, patience and meeting this plant's light needs, with a bit of healthy stress added in, can result in the sweet, elusive white blooms.What are 5 interesting facts about snakes? ›
- There are over 3,700 snake species. ...
- Snakes evolved over 142 million years ago. ...
- Some live in the sea. ...
- Snakes are “solar-powered” ...
- Their tongues smell. ...
- Essential to their ecosystems.
- Snakes smell with their tongues. ...
- Some snakes are venomous! ...
- Pit vipers, boa constrictors and pythons can sense heat. ...
- Snakes have hundreds of ribs! ...
- They shed their skin. ...
- Snakes hear using vibrations in their jaw bones. ...
- There are over 3,000 different species of snakes.
Garter snakes are a gardener's friend! Harmless to humans, they eat the pests that wreak havoc in your garden. Learn more about the shy but helpful gardening helper who just wants to live peacefully in harmony with you—and eat your slugs!Why are snakes meaningful? ›
Historically, serpents and snakes represent fertility or a creative life force. As snakes shed their skin through sloughing, they are symbols of rebirth, transformation, immortality, and healing. The ouroboros is a symbol of eternity and continual renewal of life.What is special about a snake? ›
These legless, scaly vertebrates, found in almost every biome, can slither, swim, and even fly. Some snakes are born with two heads, while others can reproduce without males. Their unique qualities make them some of the weirdest animals to be found anywhere in the world.How often do you water snake plants? ›
Your Snake Plant only needs to be watered fortnightly, allowing its soil to completely dry out between waterings to prevent overwatering and root rot. During the winter months feel free to only water your snake plant once a month if the soil is still moist after 2 weeks.Which plant gives oxygen 24 hours? ›
An Indian household is usually incomplete without the presence of a sacred Tulsi plant. Every day, Tulsi gives out oxygen for 20 out of the 24 hours day. It absorbs toxic pollutants from the air such as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and sulphur dioxide.